House of Delegates Updates
The HOD fall meeting was held virtually on October 15–16, 2020. Accelerating Nutrition and Health Equity is the critical issue for discussion in the HOD this year. During the 2-day meeting, HOD leadership used a systems approach to frame the discussion on nutrition and health equity that included the social-ecological model (Figure 1), the academy’s strategic plan, and information from the Nutrition and Health Equity Summits held in 2019 and 2020.
On Day 1, subject matter experts on Diversity and Inclusion and Health Equity provided information that enabled delegates to brainstorm concepts for a proposed Academy Cultural Humility tool. The information will be shared with the Academy Board of Directors and the Diversity and Inclusion Committee for their consideration. During day 2, the Nutrition Health Equity Model was used as the framework for delegates to explore 3 impact areas including, communications/advocacy, grassroots efforts/community, and research; and to propose action steps.
Call to Action for Academy Members
- We want to hear from you! The HOD is interested in learning about your work and volunteer experiences within the Black, Latinx, and Native American communities as these are the groups most affected by COVID-19. Please Complete the survey of your work and volunteer involvement related to nutrition and health equity in these communities no later than Monday, January 4, 2021. Results of the survey will be shared with members.
- Join self-directed task forces to brainstorm activities related to actions or tools within the three impact areas (mentioned above) to increase awareness of and/or to replicate or scale projects to accelerate nutrition and health equity within nutrition and dietetics practice.
- Learn more about and increase personal awareness of cultural humility, racial equity, and bias in nutrition and health equity in your practice. You can start by taking the Project Implicit, Implicit Association Test by clicking on this link and reviewing the resources provided below.
Nutrition and Health Equity Resources
The following resources were provided to help delegates and Academy members better understand the topic and to practice with cultural humility in the communities in which they live, work and play.
- Understanding and Promoting Nutrition and Health Equity (webpage)
- Practicing Cultural Competence and Cultural Humility in the Care of Diverse Patients (article)
- Combatting Unconscious Bias and Preventing Microaggressions: A Professional Duty (webinar)
- Equity vs. Equality (video)
- Diversity and Inclusion (webpage)
- Definition of Terms (webpage)